Administrative unit

Rattray Burgh

Scottish Burgh/District

Preferred Name:
RATTRAY
Unit Type:
Scottish Burgh/District
Status:
Burgh of Barony (Late fourteenth century - 1564)
Royal Burgh (1564 - not sustained)
Date created:
Late fourteenth century
Date abolished:
 
Unit ID:
10361758
Authorities:
The Scottish Archive Network, Scottish Archives Network Gazetteer

Notes:

RCAHMS Canmore: "The earliest mention of a town at Rattray was in connection with a gift of wax to St Mary's Chapel between 1214 and 1233. It was created a Royal burgh in March 1563 but by 1654 the harbour was silting up, and by 1732 there was hardly a vestige of the town remaining. In 1888 only one house remained, and was used as a cattle shed."

Alternative names

We know of no alternate names.

Unit associations

We know of no associations with other units.

Unit history

This unit was part of the following units:

Name Type Start End Authority
ABERDEENSHIRE Scottish County     The Scottish Archive Network, Scottish Archives Network Gazetteer

Boundary changes

We know of no boundary changes affecting this unit.

Lower level units

This unit contained the following units:

Name Type Start End Authority
CRIMOND Scottish Parish   1975 The Scottish Archive Network, Scottish Archives Network Gazetteer
How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, Rattray Burgh through time | Census tables with data for the Scottish Burgh/District, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/unit/10361758

Date accessed: 18th November 2018