In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ellesmere Port like this:
ELLESMERE PORT, a chapelry in Eastham parish, Cheshire; on the river Mersey, at the month of the Ellesmere canal, near Whitby-Locks r. station, 7½ miles N of Chester. It has a post office under Chester, docks, soap-works, and a brewery. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120. -Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is recent; and there are a P. Methodist chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ellesmere Port has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Ellesmere Port and Neston. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ellesmere Port and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ellesmere Port, in Ellesmere Port and Neston and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 17th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ellesmere Port".