We could not match "tarbert" in our simplified list of the main towns and villages, or as a postcode. There are several other ways of finding places within Vision of Britain, so read on for detailed advice and 4 possible matches we have found for you:
- If you meant to type something else:
- If you typed a postcode, it needs to be a full
postcode: some letters, then some numbers, then more letters.
Old-style postal districts like "SE3" are not precise enough
(if you know the location but do not have a precise postcode or placename,
- If you are looking for a place-name, it needs to be
the name of a town or village, or possibly a district within a town.
We do not know about individual streets or buildings, unless they
give their names to a larger area (though you might try our
collections of Historical Gazetteers and
British travel writing).
Do not include the name of a county, region or
nation with the place-name: if we know of more than one place
in Britain with the same name, you get to choose the right one
from a list or map:
You have just searched a list of the main towns, villages
and localities of Britain which we have kept as simple as possible.
It is based on a much more detailed list of
legally defined administrative units: counties, districts, parishes,
wapentakes and so on.
This is the real heart of our system, and you may be better off
directly searching it.
There are no units called "tarbert"
(excluding any that have already been grouped into the places you
have already searched), but administrative unit searches can be
narrowed by area and type, and broadened using wild cards and
If you are looking for hills, rivers, castles ...
or pretty much anything other than the "places" where people live and lived, you need
to look in our collection of Historical Gazetteers.
This contains the complete text of three gazetteers published in the
late 19th century over 90,000 entries.
The following descriptive gazetteer entries exactly match your search term:
Place name County Type of entry Source Tarbert Argyll seaport village Bartholomew TARBERT Galway an island Lewis:Ireland TARBERT Kerry an inland, port and post-town Lewis:Ireland Tarbert, loch Argyll sea-loch Bartholomew
- Place-names also appear in our collection of British travel writing. If the place-name you are interested in appears in our simplified list of "places", the search you have just done should lead you to mentions by travellers. However, many other places are mentioned, including places outside Britain and weird mis-spellings. You can search for them in the Travel Writing section of this site.
- If you know where you are interested in, but don't know the place-name, go to our historical mapping, and zoom in on the area you are interested in. Click on the "Information" icon, and your mouse pointer should change into a question mark: click again on the location you are interested in. This will take you to a page for that location, with links to both administrative units, modern and historical, which cover it, and to places which were nearby. For example, if you know where an ancestor lived, Vision of Britain can tell you the parish and Registration District it was in, helping you locate your ancestor's birth, marriage or death.