Place:


Newton Purcell  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton Purcell like this:

NEWTON-PURCELL, a parish in Bicester district, Oxford; adjacent to Bucks, 4¼ miles S W by W of Buckingham r. station. Post-town, Buckingham. Acres, 593. Real property, £986. Pop., 105. Houses, 27. The manor belongs to J. H. S. Harrison, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Shelswell, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £300.* Patron, J. H. S. Harrison, Esq. The church is ancient; has a Norman doorway, now closed up with brick-work; has alsoa bell-turret; and was extensively repaired in 1810.

Newton Purcell through time

Newton Purcell is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton Purcell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton Purcell, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9995

Date accessed: 19th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton Purcell ".