Place:


Merton  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Merton like this:

MERTON, a parish, with a village, in Bicester district, Oxford; on the river Ray, near the Oxford and Bletchley railway, 4 miles SSW of Bicester. Post town, Bicester. Acres, 1,990. Real property, £3,317. Pop., 204. Houses, 42. The. manor belonged formerly to the Harringtons, and belongs now to Sir Edward Turner, Bart. ...


The manor-house was built in the time of Queen Elizabeth; gave a few days' concealment to Prince Charles Edward, in the time of Sir James Harrington; and is now a modernised farm-house. A branch line of Roman road, now almost obliterated, intersects the parish; and a causeway, nearly 2 miles long, constructed at great cost by Sir G. P. Turner, connects the village of Merton with that of Ambrosden. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £240.* Patron, Exeter College, Oxford. The church is chiefly decorated English; and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a tower. There is a parochial school.

Merton through time

Merton is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Merton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Merton, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9965

Date accessed: 20th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Merton ".