Place:


West Malvern  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Malvern like this:

MALVERN (WEST), a chapelry in Mathon, Colwall, Cradley, and Leigh parishes, Hereford and Worcester; 2 miles W of Great Malvern r. station. It was constituted in 1844; and it has a post office‡ under Malvern. Pop. in 1861,1,417. Houses, 266. Pop. of the Mathon portion, 539; of the Colwall portion, 91; of the Cradley portion, 378. ...


The surface has a western aspect, and commands an extensive view over a hilly country. The water is of similar purity to that of Great Malvern. There are numerous lodging-houses; and visitors and population are rapidly increasing. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £230.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. There is a national school.

West Malvern through time

West Malvern is now part of Malvern Hills district. Click here for graphs and data of how Malvern Hills has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Malvern itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Malvern, in Malvern Hills and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9950

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Malvern ".