Place:


Kirtlington  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kirtlington like this:

KIRTLINGTON, a village and a parish in Bicester district, Oxford. The village stands near the river Cherwell and the Oxford canal, 1¼ mile E of the Oxford and Birmingham railway, and 4 NE by E of Woodstock; was known to the Saxons as Kyntingtun; was the meetingplace, in 977, of a synod at which King Edward the Martyr and St. ...


Dunstan of Canterbury were present; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Oxford.—The parish comprises 3, 495 acres. Real property, £4, 878. Pop., 725. Houses, 146. The manor belonged to the Bassets; passed to Thomas of Woodstock and others; and belongs now to Sir Henry W. Dashwood, Bart. Kirtlington Park, the seat of Sir Henry, is an imposing mansion of last century, amid very extensive grounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £430.*-Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church is partly Norman, partly of the 13th century, partly quite recent; consists of nave, aisles, chantry, and chancel, with a tower; underwent extensive repair, and had the tower rebuilt, in 1853; and contains a memorial window and monuments of the Dashwoods. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £12.

Kirtlington through time

Kirtlington is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kirtlington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kirtlington, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9905

Date accessed: 19th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kirtlington ".