Place:


Hornton  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hornton like this:

HORNTON, a parish with a village, in Banbury district, Oxford; adjacent to Warwickshire and under EdgeHill, 5 miles W by S of Cropredy r. station, and 5½ NW of Banbury. Post town, Banbury. Acres, 1, 400. Real property, £3, 226. Pop., 514. Houses, 133. Fire stone is found. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Oxford; and, till 1865, was annexed to the vicarage of Horley-Value, not reported. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is partly of the 12th century, partly of the 13th; and has a tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and an endowed national school.

Hornton through time

Hornton is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hornton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hornton, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9858

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hornton ".