Place:


Whalton  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whalton like this:

WHALTON, a parish, with a village and four townships, in Castle-Ward district, Northumberland; 2½ miles SE by S of Meldon r. station, and 6 S W of Morpeth. It has a post-office under Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Acres, 5,918. Real property, £7,356. Pop., 495. Houses, 103. The property is subdivided. ...


There are traces of a Roman camp, and slight remains of Ogle Castle. Freestone and limestone are quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £753.* Patron, R. Bates, Esq. The church was restored in 1783. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and partially endowed British schools.

Whalton through time

Whalton is now part of Castle Morpeth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Castle Morpeth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whalton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whalton, in Castle Morpeth and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9769

Date accessed: 12th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whalton ".