Place:


Forest Hill  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Forest Hill like this:

FOREST-HILL, a parish in Headington district, Oxfordshire; 1½ mile NNW of Wheatley railway station, and 5 miles E by N of Oxford. Post town, Wheatley, under Oxford. Acres, 650. Real property, £1, 378. Pop., 191. Houses, 41. Mary Powell, the first wife of Milton, lived here, and was married here to Milton; and some parts of her father's house are still standing. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £85.* Patron, Lincoln College, Oxford. The church stands on a hill; is covered with ivy; and has a stone font under a neat wooden cover. Mickle, the poet, resided in the neighbourhood, and was buried in the churchyard.

Forest Hill through time

Forest Hill is now part of South Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Forest Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Forest Hill in South Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9683

Date accessed: 14th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Forest Hill ".