Place:


Cowley  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cowley like this:

COWLEY, a parish in Headington district, Oxfordshire: adjacent to the river Thames and the Oxford railway, 2¼ miles SSE of Oxford. Post town, Oxford. Acres, 940. Real property, £4, 227. Pop., 1, 404. Houses, 256. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. ...


Value, £64. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church was recently restored. The p. curacy of St. John, contiguous to Oxford, is a separate benefice; and a new church for it, in memory of Archbishop Langley, at a cost of about £17, 500, was proposed, in 1869, to be erected in the vicinity of Magdalen bridge. There are a Wesleyan chapel, the diocesan school, and two other public schools.

Cowley through time

Cowley is now part of Oxford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Oxford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cowley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cowley, in Oxford and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9546

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cowley ".