Place:


Claydon  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Claydon like this:

CLAYDON, a chapelry in Cropredy parish, Oxford; on the Oxford canal and the Oxford and Rugby railway, at the northern apex of the county, 2½ miles N by W of Cropredy r. station, and 6½ N of Banbury. Post town, Cropredy, under Banbury. Acres, 1, 160. Real property, £2, 349. Pop., 317. Houses, 76. Blue has rocks are here, with fossils. Claydon Wood is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £125. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is ancient; and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Claydon through time

Claydon is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Claydon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Claydon, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9539

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Claydon ".