Place:


Chesterton  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chesterton like this:

CHESTERTON, a parish in Bicester district, Oxford; on Akeman-street and a branch of the river Ray, near the Oxford and Bletchley railway, 1½ mile WSW of Bicester. Post town, Bicester. Acres, 2, 850. Real property, £2, 904. Pop., 384. Houses, 86. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £200.* Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is transition Norman in the nave, mixed decorated and perpendicular English in the chancel; and has a decorated tower, and three fine early English sedilia.

Chesterton through time

Chesterton is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chesterton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chesterton, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9531

Date accessed: 21st January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chesterton ".