Place:


Murton  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Murton like this:

MURTON, or Moortown, a township in Tynemouth parish, Northumberland; 2 miles N W of North Shields. It contains the village of Philadelphia. Acres, 443. Pop., 543. Houses, 107. Coal is largely worked, and freestone is quarried. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Murton through time

Murton is now part of North Tyneside district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Tyneside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Murton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Murton, in North Tyneside and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9512

Date accessed: 20th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Murton ".