Place:


Temple Grafton  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Temple Grafton like this:

GRAFTON-TEMPLE, a parish in Stratford-on-Avon district, Warwick; near Icknield-street, 2¾ miles SE by E of Alcester r. station, and 5 W of Stratford-on-Avon. It is the " Hungry Grafton" of Shakspeare; it contains the townships of Arden-Grafton and Hillborough; and its post town is Alcester, under Bromsgrove. ...


Acres, 1,830. Real property, £3, 150; of which £100 are in quarries. Pop., 403. Houses, 94. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Knights Templars, and afterwards to the Knights Hospitallers. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £93. Patron, F. F. Bullock, Esq. The church is ancient but good; and consists of nave, chancel, and aisles. There is a Baptist chapel.

Temple Grafton through time

Temple Grafton is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Temple Grafton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Temple Grafton, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9382

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Temple Grafton ".