Place:


Ipsley  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ipsley like this:

IPSLEY, a parish in Alcester district, Warwick; on the river Arrow and the Redditch railway, contiguous to Worcestershire, 1¾ mile SE by E of R edditch railway station. It contains Headless Cross village, and part of Redditch town, each of which has a post office under Bromsgrove; and contains also part of Crabs-Cross village. ...


Acres, 2, 514. Real property, £5, 601. Pop. in 1851, 1, 099; in 1861, 1, 127. Houses, 234. The property is chiefly divided between two. The manufacture of needles and fish hooks is carried on at Ipsley Mills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £588.* Patron, the Rev.Dolben. The church is very ancient; has an embattled tower; and contains some very old monuments of the Huband family. The rectory of Headless Cross is a separate benefice. A Roman Catholic chapel was recently erected on the border of the parish, at a cost of £6, 000. W. S. Landor, Esq., the author of "Imaginary Conversations, " was a resident.

Ipsley through time

Ipsley is now part of Redditch district. Click here for graphs and data of how Redditch has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ipsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ipsley, in Redditch and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9372

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ipsley ".