Place:


Snitterfield  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Snitterfield like this:

SNITTERFIELD, a village, a parish, and a division, in Warwick. The village stands 3¾ miles NNE of Stratford-on-Avon r. station; and has a post-office under Stratford-on-Avon. The parish comprises 3,725 acres, and is in Stratford-on-Avon district. Real property, £6,625. Pop., 881. Houses, 195. ...


The manor, with S. House, belongs to M. Philips, Esq. Ingon Grange is the seat of Misses Attye; and the Wolds, of H. Smith, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £271.* Patron, the Bishop of W. The church is early English and good. There are a national school, and charities £9. The poet Jago was vicar.-The division contains 14 parishes, and is part of Barlichway hundred. Acres, 22,293. Pop. in 1851, 3,845. Houses, 813.

Snitterfield through time

Snitterfield is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Snitterfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Snitterfield, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9355

Date accessed: 22nd November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Snitterfield ".