Place:


Holy Island  Northumberland

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Holy Island like this:

Holy Island (or Lindisfarne), peninsular par., coast of N. Northumberland, 9½ miles SE. of Berwick on Tweed, 2457 ac. (17 water), 328 tidal water, and 3977 foreshore, pop. 686; P.O.; though insulated at high tide, it is connected with the mainland by sands at low water; is 3 miles long and 1¾ mile broad; in the N. ...


it consists of sand hills, which form a large rabbit warren; the remainder is fertile; on the NE. are a small harbour defended by a battery, a village frequented for sea-bathing, annd a once famous abbey founded in 635 as a hishop's see but destroyed by the Danes in 900.

Holy Island through time

Holy Island is now part of Berwick upon Tweed district. Click here for graphs and data of how Berwick upon Tweed has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holy Island itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holy Island, in Berwick upon Tweed and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9305

Date accessed: 25th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holy Island ".