Place:


Begbroke  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Begbroke like this:

BEGBROOKE, a parish in Woodstock district, Oxford; near the Oxford canal, the Oxford and Rugby railway, and the Oxford and Wolverhampton railway, 1½ mile SW of Woodstock Road r. station, and 2½ SE by S of Woodstock. Post Town, Bladon, under Woodstock. Acres, 623. Real property, £1,437. Pop., 104. Houses, 17. The property is divided among a few. A small portion of it once belonged to the Abbey of Godestow. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £170.* Patron, Brasenose college, Oxford. The church has some Norman details, and is very good.

Begbroke through time

Begbroke is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Begbroke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Begbroke, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9270

Date accessed: 21st January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Begbroke ".