Place:


Beckley  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Beckley like this:

BECKLEY, a village and a parish in Headington district, Oxford. The village stands on the line of the Roman road from Alcester to Wallingford, on an eminence overhanging the south side of Ottmoor, 3 miles SE of Islip r. station, and 5 NE of Oxford; and has a post office under Oxford. It was the burial-place of the British saint, Donanverdh; the hereditary property of King Alfred; and the site of the castellated palace of Richard King of the Romans. ...


The parish includes also the hamlets of Studley and Horton-cum-Studley. Acres, 4,370. Real property, £1,888. Pop., 749. Houses, 165. The surface is hilly. Various fragments of Roman pottery have been found. A Benedictine priory was founded at Studley, in the time of Henry II., by Bertrand de St. Walery; passed, at the dissolution, to the Crokes; and was converted into a dwelling-house in 1587. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £112. Patron, the Rev. T. L. Cooke. The church is an interesting structure of the 14th century; and has remains of very curious frescoes, a font with ancient stone desk, and tombs of the Crokes. There are almshouses with £92, and other charities £7.

Beckley through time

Beckley is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Beckley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Beckley, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9265

Date accessed: 20th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Beckley ".