Place:


Harnham  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harnham like this:

HARNHAM, a township in Bolam parish, Northumberland; 8 miles SW of Morpeth. Acres, 679. Pop., 45. Houses, 12. Harnham Castle was the seat of the Babingtons, one of whom was governor of Berwick in the time of Charles II.; it was a place of great strength, situated on a height, defended by a morass, a steep glacis, and a high range of sandstone rocks; and considerable remains of it exist at the back of a modern mansion.

Harnham through time

Harnham is now part of Castle Morpeth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Castle Morpeth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harnham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harnham, in Castle Morpeth and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9220

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harnham ".