Place:


Ascott under Wychwood  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ascott under Wychwood like this:

ASCOTT-UNDER-WYCHWOOD, a parish in Chipping-Norton district, Oxford; on the river Evenlode and on the West Midland railway, at Ascott station, 3¾ miles W of Charlbury. It contains High Lodge in Wychwood forest; and has a post office under Enstone Acres, 1,793. Real property, £2,960. ...


Pop., 458. Houses, 90. The property is divided among a few. Ascott-Earl is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £80. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The church is good, except the chancel. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and charities £45.

Ascott under Wychwood through time

Ascott under Wychwood is now part of West Oxfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Oxfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ascott under Wychwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ascott under Wychwood in West Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9138

Date accessed: 20th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ascott under Wychwood ".