Place:


Hartshill  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hartshill like this:

HARTSHILL, a village and a chapelry in Mancetter parish, Warwick. The village stands on the river Anker, on the end of a hilly plain, near Watling street, the Coventry canal, the Trent Valley railway, and the boundary with Leicester, 3 miles NNW of Nuneaton r. station; is supposed to occupy the Campus Martins of the Roman Manduessedum; and commands a view in which are seen 45 parish churches. ...


The chapelry includes also the hamlet of Chapel End; which has a postoffice under Atherstone. Real property, £5, 349; of which £398 are in quarries. Pop., 1, 129. Houses, 269. Ruins exist of a Norman castle, built in 1125 by Hugh de Hardreshull. A large wood extends from the W side of the village to nearly the camp at Oldbury. Excellent road metal is quarried; greenstone and iron ore abound; and manganese and copper ore are found. Ribbon making is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £135.* Patron, the Vicar of Mancetter. The church is a modern edifice, in the Norman style. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £37 a year, and a national school.

Hartshill through time

Hartshill is now part of North Warwickshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Warwickshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hartshill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hartshill in North Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9115

Date accessed: 22nd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hartshill ".