Place:


Bollington  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bollington like this:

BOLLINGTON, a township, a chapelry, and a subdistrict in Prestbury parish, Cheshire. The township lies near the river Bollin, the Macclesfield canal, and the Macclesfield and Manchester railway, 3 miles N by E of Macclesfield; and has a post office† under Macclesfield. Acres, 1,184. Real property, £16,184; of which £1,373 are in freestone and slate quarries. ...


Pop., 3,439. Houses, 1,108. The property is subdivided. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in quarries, collieries, and silk and cotton factories. The chapelry is conterminate with the township; and was constituted in 1835. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £190.* Patron, the Vicar of Prestbury. The church was built in 1834, at a cost of £4,000; and is in the early English style. There are an Independent chapel in the early second pointed style, built in 1868, three other dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, and two national schools. The subdistrict comprises five townships. Acres, 8,676. Pop., 10,357. Houses, 2,243.

Bollington through time

Bollington is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bollington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bollington, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/908

Date accessed: 22nd January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bollington ".