Place:


Withyham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Withyham like this:

WITHYHAM, a parish and a sub-district in East Grinstead district, Sussex. The parish lies adjacent to the Three-Bridges and Tunbridge-Wells railway, 6½ miles SW by W of Tunbridge-Wells; contains a village and two hamlets; and has a post-office‡ under Tunbridge Wells, a r. station, and a fair on Michaelmas day. ...


Acres, 8,086. Real property, £7,281. Pop. in 1851, 1,692; in 1861, 1,597. Houses, 306. The manor, with Buckhurst Park, belongs to Earl Delawarr. Ruins of an ancient mansion of Buckhurst, including a tower and other parts, are near the church. Summerford, Florence, Penns-Rocks, Crowborough-Warren, and Beech-Green Park are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £717.* Patron, Earl Delawarr. The church was enlarged and interiorly renovated in 1844; and it includes a private chapel of the Sackvilles, containing three fine monuments. A chapel of ease is at Crowborough 'T here are a Wesleyan chapel, six alms houses, and other charities £22.—The sub-district includes Hartfield parish.

Withyham through time

Withyham is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Withyham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Withyham, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9065

Date accessed: 13th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Withyham ".