Place:


Wadhurst  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wadhurst like this:

WADHURST, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Ticehurst district, Sussex. The village stands 1 mile E of the Tunbridge and Hastings railway, and 6½ SE of Tunbridge-Wells; and has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post-office under Hurst-Green, a public library with reading room, a weekly market, and fairs on 29 April and 1 Nov. ...


The parish includes part of Tidebrook chapelry, and comprises 10,147 acres. Real property, £11,530. Pop. in 1851, 2,802; in 1861, 2,470. The property is subdivided. W. Castle, W. Park, Dewhurst Lodge, Frankham, the Mount, and Faircrouch are chief residences. Excellent sandstone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £659.* Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is ancient, was recently restored, and has a lofty spire. The p. curacy of Tidebrook is a separate benefice. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, national schools, and several charities. The sub-district includes also Lamberhurst parish, and comprises 15,437 acres. Pop., 4,075. Houses, 809.

Wadhurst through time

Wadhurst is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wadhurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wadhurst, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9045

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wadhurst ".