Place:


West Thorney  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Thorney like this:

THORNEY (West), a parish in Westbourne district, Sussex; within Chichester harbour, 3 miles SW of Bosham r. station, and 6½ WSW of Chichester. Post town, Emsworth. The area was insular, with 940 acres of land and 2,065 of foreshore; but works were in progress in 1865 to unite it with the mainland, and to reclaim about 2,000 acres of the foreshore. Real property, £1,808. Pop., 93. Houses, 23. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £320. Patron, F. Padwick, Esq. The church is plain.

West Thorney through time

West Thorney is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Thorney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Thorney, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9037

Date accessed: 18th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Thorney ".