Place:


Audley  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Audley like this:

AUDLEY, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Newcastle-under-Lyne, Stafford. The township lies 3 miles W of Harecastle tunnel on the Grand Trunk canal, 3 S of Alsager r. station, and 5¼ NW by N of Newcastle-under-Lyne. It has a post office‡ under Newcastle-under-Lyne; and it gives the title of Baron to the family of Touchet. ...


Real property, £4,189. Pop., 1,556. Houses, 317. The parish includes also the liberty of Halmer-End, and the townships off Talk-o' th'-Hill, Eardley-End, Knowl-End, Bignall-End, and Park-End. Acres, 8,530. Real property, £30,383,-of which £11,431 are in mines. Pop., 6,494. Houses, 1,330. The property is much subdivided Heleigh Castle, now a ruin, was the seat of the Audleys. Coal and ironstone are worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £520.* Patron, the Rev. E. Gilbert. The church was restored in. 1846 and 1856, and has some fine features. The vicarage of Talk o'-th'-Hill is a separate charge. There are Methodist chapels. Vernon's grammar school has an endowed income of £115, and other charities have £35.-The-subdistrict comprises two parishes and part of a third. Acres, 11,171. Pop., 7,625. Houses, 1,566.

Audley through time

Audley is now part of Newcastle under Lyme district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle under Lyme has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Audley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Audley, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/902

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Audley ".