Place:


Selmeston  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Selmeston like this:

SELMESTON, a parish in Lewes district, Sussex; on the South Coast railway, 1 mile W by N of Berwick r.station, and 6¼ E S E of Lewes. It has a post-office under Lewes. Acres, 1, 590. Real property, £2,065. Pop., 197. Houses, 39. The manor belongs to Lord Gage. The living is a vicarage, united with Alciston, in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £330.* Patron, alternately the Bishop of and the Dean and Chapter ofThe church is early English.

Selmeston through time

Selmeston is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Selmeston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Selmeston, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/9007

Date accessed: 19th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Selmeston ".