Place:


Appleby  Westmorland

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Appleby like this:

Appleby.-- market and co. town of Westmorland, in the pars. of A. St Lawrence and A. St Michael, on river Eden, 13 miles SW. of Penrith, and 30 miles SW. of Carlisle by rail, pop. 1805; 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day. Saturday. It consists of A. proper, on the left bank of the river, and Old A., or Bongate, on the right bank. The township of A. is identical with A. proper. Appleby Castle, an old seat, occupies the site of a Roman sta.

Appleby through time

Appleby is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Appleby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Appleby, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/899

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Appleby ".