Place:


Fenny Compton  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fenny Compton like this:

COMPTON (Fenny), a parish in Southam district, Warwick; on the Oxford canal and the Oxford and Rugby railway, 8¾ miles NNW of Banbury. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Rugby. Acres, 2, 330. Real property, £3, 965. Pop., 639. Houses, 148. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belonged, at Domesday, to the Earl of Mellent; and passed to Sir Simon Montfort, to the Cops, the Spencers, and the Willises. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £417.* Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church is good; and there are charities £9. Aymer, afterwards Bishop of Winchester, in the time of Henry III., was rector; and Sir H. B. Dudley was a native.

Fenny Compton through time

Fenny Compton is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fenny Compton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fenny Compton, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8840

Date accessed: 13th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fenny Compton ".