Place:


St Ishmael  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Ishmael like this:

ISHMAEL'S (ST.), a parish in the district and county of Carmarthen; on the river Towey, Carmarthen bay, and the South Wales railway, 8½ miles SSW of Carmarthen. It contains the hamlets of Broadlaey, Hall, Iscoed, Llansaint, Treforis, and Ystrad, and the bathing village of Ferryside; the last of which has a station on the railway, and a post office under Kidwelly. ...


Acres, 8, 081; of which 4, 435 are water. Real property, £4, 683. Pop. in 1851, 968; in 1861, 1, 211. Houses, 245. The increase of pop. arose from the influx of sea side residents, and from the facilities of railway communication. The property is much subdivided. Iscoed is the chief residence. Fishing and cockle gathering are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £187.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, stands close to the shore, and was recently very beautifully restored. The p. curacy of Ferryside is a separate benefice.

St Ishmael through time

St Ishmael is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Ishmael itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Ishmael in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8787

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Ishmael ".