Place:


Belsay  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Belsay like this:

BELSAY, a township in Bolam parish, Northumberland; on the river Blyth, 9 ½ miles SW of Morpeth. It has a post office under Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Acres, 2,516. Pop., 384. Houses, 74. Belsay Castle, the ancient seat of the Middletons, now the property of SirM. L. Monck, Bart., is an old tower, with additions made by SirMiddleton in 1628. ...


The pile measures 56½ feet from N to S, and 47 ¼. from E to W; has four projecting turrets, three of them round, the other square; terminates in a corbelled parapet; and contains, on the first floor, a solar 43 feet long, 21½ wide, and 17 high.

Belsay through time

Belsay is now part of Castle Morpeth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Castle Morpeth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Belsay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Belsay, in Castle Morpeth and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8725

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Belsay ".