Place:


Backworth  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Backworth like this:

BACKWORTH, or Blackworth, a township in Earsdon parish, Northumberland; on the Morpeth and Tynemouth railway, 4½ miles NW of North Shields. It has a station on the railway; which serves also for Holywell and Earsdon. Acres, 1,360. Pop., 954. Houses, 189. The manor belonged anciently to the priory of Tynemouth; and belongs now to the Duke of Northumberland. A coal mine here produces the Northumberland Wallsend or Earsdon Main coal.

Backworth through time

Backworth is now part of North Tyneside district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Tyneside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Backworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Backworth, in North Tyneside and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8695

Date accessed: 22nd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Backworth ".