Place:


Whittington  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whittington like this:

WHITTINGTON, a parish, with two hamlets, in Lichfield district, Stafford; 2½ miles ESE of Lichfield r. station. It has a post-office under Lichfield. Acres, 2,921. Real property, £5,781. Pop., 819. Houses, 184. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to the Everards, passed to the Pagets, and belongs now to the Marquis of Anglesey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £351. Patron, T. J. Levett, Esq. The church is good; and there is an endowed school with £12 a year.

Whittington through time

Whittington is now part of Lichfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lichfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whittington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whittington, in Lichfield and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8613

Date accessed: 24th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whittington ".