Place:


Whitmore  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitmore like this:

WHITMORE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Newcastle-under-Lyne district, Stafford. The village stands near the Northwestern railway, 4 miles SW of Newcastle-under-Lyne; and has a post-office under Newcastle, Staffordshire, and a r. station. The parish comprises 2,023 acres. Real property, £2,839. ...


Pop., 345. Houses, 60. The manor, with W. Hall, belongs to Rear-Admiral R. Mainwaring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £470. Patron, Rear-Admiral R. Mainwaring. The church was repaired in 1845. Charities, £8.—The sub-district includes Maer and Chorlton, and comprises 6,680 acres. Pop., 1,302. Houses, 236.

Whitmore through time

Whitmore is now part of Newcastle under Lyme district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle under Lyme has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitmore, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8612

Date accessed: 26th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitmore ".