Place:


Silverdale  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Silverdale like this:

SILVERDALE, a village in Keele parish, and a chapelry partly also in Wolstanton and Trentham parishes, Stafford. The village stands at the terminus of the Stoke and Silverdale railway, 2 miles W by N of Newcastle-under-Lyne; and has a r. station with telegraph, and a post-office‡ under Newcastle, Staffordshire. The chapelry was constituted in 1855. Pop. in 1861, 4,673. Houses, 976. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Wolstanton.

Silverdale through time

Silverdale is now part of Newcastle under Lyme district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle under Lyme has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Silverdale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Silverdale, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8609

Date accessed: 23rd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Silverdale ".