Place:


Aston Cantlow  Warwickshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aston Cantlow like this:

ASTON-CANTLOW, or Aston-Cantelupe, a parish in Alcester district, Warwick; on the river Alne, near the Birmingham and Stratford canal, 2½ miles W by S of Bearley r. station, and 5½ NW of Stratford-on-Avon. It includes the divisions of Newnham, Sheffield, Little Alne, and Pathlow, and part of the hamlet of Wilncott; and its Post Town is Henley-in-Arden, under Birmingham. ...


Acres, 4,300. Real property, £7,611,-of which £1,563 are in quarries. Pop., 1,055. Houses, 230. The manor belonged anciently to the Cantelupes. The right to a market was obtained by one of the Cantelupes in the time of Henry III.; but has gone into disuse. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Wilmcote, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £93.* Patron, the Rev. E. B. K. Fortescue. The church has an embattled tower.

Aston Cantlow through time

Aston Cantlow is now part of Stratford on Avon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stratford on Avon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aston Cantlow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aston Cantlow, in Stratford on Avon and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8536

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aston Cantlow ".