Place:


Hadlow Down  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hadlow Down like this:

HADLOW DOWN, a hamlet in Mayfield parish, and a chapelry in Mayfield and Buxted parishes, Sussex. The hamlet lies 3¾ miles SW by W of Mayfield, and 4½ NE of Uckfield r. station; and has a post office under Uckfield. The chapelry was constituted in 1837. Pop., 981. Houses, 191. Pop. of the Mayfield portion, 605. Houses, 118. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £126.* Patron, alternately the Rector of Buxted and the Vicar of Mayfield. There is a Baptist chapel.

Hadlow Down through time

Hadlow Down is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hadlow Down itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hadlow Down, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8532

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hadlow Down ".