Place:


West Grinstead  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Grinstead like this:

GRINSTEAD (WEST), a village, a parish, and a hundred in Sussex. The village stands on the river Adur, near the Horsham and Shoreham railway, 6¾ miles S of Horsham; and has a station on the railway, and a postoffice under Horsham. The parish includes also the hamlet of Partridge Green; and is in Horsham district. ...


Acres, 6, 658. Real property, £6, 871; of which £92 are in the Adur navigation. Pop., 1, 403. house, 235. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Rev. John Goring. Grinstead Park belonged formerly to the Carylls; was visited, in their time, by Pope, when he wrote his " Rape of the Lock; '' and is now the seat of Sir P. Burrell, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £791.* Patron, Lord Leconfield. The church is ancient but good; and contains monuments of the Powletts, the Carylls, and the Burrells. There are a Roman Catholic chapel and a national school.-The hundred is in the rape of Bramber, and contains four parishes. Acres, 17, 984. Pop. in 1851, 3, 193. house, 458.

West Grinstead through time

West Grinstead is now part of Horsham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Horsham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Grinstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Grinstead, in Horsham and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8523

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Grinstead ".