Place:


Pentraeth  Anglesey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pentraeth like this:

PENTRAETH, a village and a parish in the district and county of Anglesey. The village stands on a rivulet running 1 mile thence to Red Wharf bay, 4½ miles N by W of Llanfair r. station, and 5 W by N of Beaumaris; is a pretty place; and has a post-office under Menai Bridge, Anglesey, an inn, and fairs on 5 May, 24 June, and 20 Sept. ...


The parish extends to the coast; and comprises 2, 983 acres of land and 1,030 of water. Real property, £3, 881. Pop., 962. Houses, 231. The property is subdivided. Plas-Gwyn was long the seat of the Pantons; passed to Lord Vivian; and is now the residence of W. Williams, Esq. The rocks include gritstone, lime-stone, and marble; and the limestone is quarried for shipment at Porth-Llongddu. Rare shells are found on the shore; and Druidical stones are near Plas-Gwyn. The living is a p. curacy, united with the p. curacy of Llanbedr-Goch, in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £400. Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is tolerable, and contains monuments of the Pantons. There are chapels for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists, a slightly endowed school, and charities £10.

Pentraeth through time

Pentraeth is now part of the Isle of Anglesey district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Anglesey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pentraeth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pentraeth in The the Isle of Anglesey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8471

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pentraeth ".