Place:


Pen Rhys  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pen Rhys like this:

PENRICE, a village and a parish in Swansea district, Glamorgan. The village stands near the W side of Oxwich bay, in the Gower peninsula, 9 miles S W of Loughor r. station, and 10 W S W of Swansea; was once a market-town; and has fairs on 17 May, 17 July, 17 Sept., and 11 Dec. The parish contains also the hamlet of Pilton-Green; and its post town is Swansea. ...


Acres, 2, 248; of which 45 are water. Real property, £1, 254. Pop., 307. Houses, 70. The name Penrice was originally written Pen-rhys; applies properly to a headland of the parish; and was taken from Rhys-ab-Caradoc, who was killed here. The property is much subdivided. P. Castle was built by the Earl of Warwick, to secure hisacquisitions in Gower; passed to the Penrices, the Mansells, and the Talbots; and is now a ruin, consistingchiefly of some large inwardly-rounded towers. Amodern mansion, the seat ofR. Talbot, Esq., stands adjacent to the ruins, embowered in wood; and was built in 1782, out of materials from Margam abbey. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £53. Patron, N. V. E. Vaughan, Esq. The church is Norman and cruciform; has been restored; and is remarkable for the beauty of its situation.

Pen Rhys through time

Pen Rhys is now part of Swansea district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swansea has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pen Rhys itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pen Rhys, in Swansea and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8469

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pen Rhys ".