Place:


Penrhosllugwy  Anglesey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penrhosllugwy like this:

PENRHOS-LLIGWY, a parish in the district and county of Anglesey; on the coast, 4½ miles E N E of Llanerchymedd r. station. Post-town, Llanerchymedd, under Bangor. Acres, 2, 894; of which 300 are water. Real property, £1, 969. Pop. in 1851, 553; in 1861, 473. Houses, 106. The manor of Lligwy was once a separate parish; belonged formerly to the Lloyds; waspurchased by the Irbys; and belongs now to Lord Boston-The scenery is very fine; and there are numerous cyttiau, and other Celtic antiquities. ...


The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £75. Patron, Lord Boston. The church was restored in 1866. The church-yard contains the remains of some of the numerous persons who were drowned at the shipwreck of "the Royal Charter" in Oct. 1859. The walls of the old church of Lligwy still exist, and stand over a large crypt. There are an apprenticing charity of £70 a year, and a school exhibition of £10 or £20. W. Jones, the mechanician, father of Sir W. Jones, and Earl Morris, the antiquary, author of " Celtic Remains, " were natives.

Penrhosllugwy through time

Penrhosllugwy is now part of the Isle of Anglesey district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Anglesey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Penrhosllugwy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penrhosllugwy in The the Isle of Anglesey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8464

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Penrhosllugwy ".