Place:


Graffham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Graffham like this:

GRAFFHAM, a village and a parish in Westhamp-nett district, Sussex. The village stands on the Downs, 3 miles SW of Petworth r. station, and 4¼ SE of Midhurst. The parish comprises 1, 658 acres; and its post town is Petworth. Real property, £1, 467. Pop., 416. Houses, 80. The view northward, above the village, is very grand. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Wool-Lavington; in the diocese of Chichester. The church was mostly rebuilt in 1838; and has a tower and spire. There are a national school, and charities £4.

Graffham through time

Graffham is now part of Chichester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chichester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Graffham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Graffham, in Chichester and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8460

Date accessed: 20th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Graffham ".