Place:


Pen Marc  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pen Marc like this:

PENMARK, a village and a parish in Cardiff district, Monmouth. The village stands 2 miles from the coast, 5½ S by W of Peterstone r. station, and 6½ S E of Cowbridge; and has a post-office under Cowbridge. The parish contains also the villages of Aberthaw, Burton, Cwm, Fonmon, Fontigary, Nurston, Rhos, and Tredogan. ...


Acres, 3, 395; of which 160 are water. Real property, £3, 942. Pop., 529. Houses, 113. The property is divided among a few. Penmark Castle belonged to the Humfreviles, was destroyed by Owen Glendower, and is now a ruin. Fonmon Castle belonged also to the Humfreviles; passed to the St. Johns of Bletsoe; waspurchased by Col. Philip Jones, the famous parliamentary commander; is now the seat of R. O. Jones, Esq.; and shows late Norman or early English characters. Fontigary was often visited by John Wesley; and is now afarmhouse. Hydraulic lime, of high celebrity, is obtained at Aberthaw. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £224.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church is good; and there are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and charities £10.

Pen Marc through time

Pen Marc is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pen Marc itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pen Marc in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8456

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pen Marc ".