Place:


Milton  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milton like this:

MILTON, a village and a chapelry in Norton-in-the Moors parish, Stafford. The village stands on the Caldon canal, near the Burslem or Longport station of the Potteries, Biddulph, and Congleton railway, 2 miles E of Burslem; and has a post office under Stoke-uponTrent. The chapelry was constituted in 1865. ...


Pop., about 1,200. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in the potteries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, not reported. Patron, the Right Hon.B. Adderley. A Wesleyan chapel, in memorial of the late Rev. S. Lee, a native of the village, and the first missionary to New Zealand, was built in 1865; is in a foreign pointed style; and contains 300 sittings.

Milton through time

Milton is now part of Stoke on Trent district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stoke on Trent has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milton, in Stoke on Trent and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8410

Date accessed: 21st July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milton ".