Place:


Maer  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Maer like this:

MAER, a village and a parish in Newcastle-under-Lyne district, Stafford. The village stands near a lake of about 25 acres, the source of the river Tern, 1¾ mile S by W of Whitmore r. station, and 6½ SW of Newcastle-under-Lyne; and has a post office under Newcastle, Staffordshire. ...


The parish contains also the hamlet of Maerway-Lane. Acres, 2,736. Real property, £3,339. Pop., 473. Houses, 89. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Maer Hall, belongs to W. Davenport, Esq. Much of the land was recently wild moor, but has been enclosed and partly planted. Sandstone, for rough building, is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, #160. * Patron, W. Davenport, Esq. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1610, and has an embattled tower. Charities, £11.

Maer through time

Maer is now part of Newcastle under Lyme district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newcastle under Lyme has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Maer itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maer, in Newcastle under Lyme and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8403

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Maer ".