Place:


Newton Nottage  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton Nottage like this:

NEWTON-NOTTAGE, a village and a parish in Bridgend district, Glamorgan. The village stands on the coast, 3 miles S by E of Pyle r. station, and 5 S W by W of Bridgend; and is a decayed watering-place. The parish contains also the sea-port village of Porthcawl, which is at the terminus of the Llynvi railway, and has a post-office under Bridgend. ...


Acres, 3, 877: of which 560 are water. Real property, £2, 275. Pop. in 1851, 959; in 1861, 1,082. Houses, 224. Newton Court is anold Tudor mansion, was restored by the late Rev. H. Knight, and is now the residence of the Rev. E. D. Knight. Newton Downs were recently enclosed, retain traces of the Julian way, and command extensive views over Bristol channel. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £412.* Patrons, the Rev. E. D. Knight two turns, and Sir J. B. Guest, Bart., one turn. The church is ancient, and was partially restored in 1862. See Porthcawl.

Newton Nottage through time

Newton Nottage is now part of Bridgend district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bridgend has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton Nottage itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton Nottage, in Bridgend and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8394

Date accessed: 23rd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton Nottage ".