Place:


Woodford  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodford like this:

WOODFORD, a parish, with W. village and West Farndon and Hinton hamlets, in Daventry district, Northampton; 7½ miles NE of Cropredy r. station, and 7½ S by W of Daventry. It has a postal wall-box under Daventry. Acres, 2,655. Real property, £5,641. Pop., 735. Houses, 186. The property is much subdivided. ...


W. manor belongs to the Earl of Ellesmere; West Farndon manor, to A. Cartwright, Esq.; Hinton manor, to Sir R. Knightley, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £275.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good; and there are Moravian and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £12.

Woodford through time

Woodford is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woodford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodford, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8358

Date accessed: 22nd November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woodford ".