Place:


East Blatchington  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Blatchington like this:

BLATCHINGTON, or Bletchington (East), a parish in Lewes district, Sussex; on the Newhaven branch of the South Coast railway, and on the coast, 1 mile NNW of Seaford. Post Town, Seaford, under Lewes. Acres, 821; of which 66 are water. Real property, £1,004. Pop., 128. Houses, 28. The property is divided among a few. A strong battery is here for the defence of the coast. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £200.* Patron, the Rev. N. R. Dennis. The church is good.

East Blatchington through time

East Blatchington is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Blatchington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Blatchington, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8266

Date accessed: 19th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Blatchington ".